Friday, December 4, 2009

Cooking, dress cutting and Christmas bunting


I managed to go home to Ballarat for a few days this week, chiefly for my Dad's birthday but also to do some sewing and spend time with the parents and Darwin. Dad's birthday was a very quiet family dinner and Mum made an awesome roast and chocolate pudding.


First I finally succeeded in washing the black fabric and getting it dried without bird presents on it. So I cut out the fabric and then gave the pattern to Mum to figure out…..its about half finished at the moment but don’t think I will get home until after Christmas.

I found this fabric in the remnants pile at Spotlight for $1 a piece. Pretty cool I thought and perfect for making some drawstring bags to give as present.


As we are having Christmas day at my house in Melbourne I decided to make some Christmas bunting as decoration. I haven’t really bothered to collect Christmas decorations previously as I always go home for Christmas and I would rather make than buy so I started with the bunting. Not sure that I will be making anything else this year, it might need to be a slow collection of things.



To make quick bunting I used pinking shears to cut the edges. These are my Mums pinking shears (with the original and very cool box).

This is Mum's bunting all pinned and ready to be sewn.

And this is Mum sewing bunting in the studio.....all of the sewing ended up like this with me handing things to Mum as she sewed and then wandering around stealing yarn from her stash to make birthday presents and more stitch practise squares.

Now I am off to work on a beanie for a friend for his birthday.... I told him he may need to wait six months before it is finished.

2 comments:

  1. A perfect description of your visit home. However you left out your awesome organising of parts of the studio - you know I'll be forever grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I borrowed your mum's pinking shears to make a birthday bunting, they made fast work of it all.
    such a great way to liven up a room.
    Welcome to this blogging world!

    ReplyDelete